Skin Spirit- Redmond Wa
I am turning 30 something this week, so I decided to jump on board the skin care game and treat myself to a facial. Let me tell you about my first microdermabrasion and Signature Facial at Skin Spirit in Redmond Wa.
On an anxiety scale 1-10, I was feeling about a 7 about this clinical facial I was about to get at Skin Spirit. The anxiety of not knowing what was going to happen during the facial combined with not knowing how my skin would respond just jacked up the anxiety scale for me. I wasn’t sure how much of my face was going to be sloshed off and to be honest I was kinda worried about what was underneath. I have a love hate relationship with my wrinkles, pores and pigmentation…..and I tend to keep all those feelings bottled up between me and my face. By getting a facial I was letting someone get all up in in those fleshy feelings. argh.
It was time to break down the wall in my head and just try it. I pulled on my big girl pants and went through with the facial. I’m gonna walk you through my first experience of microdermabrasio and a clinical facial at Skin Spirit in Redmond Wa so maybe your anxiety level will be lower and your relaxation will be higher and you too will feel empowered to step up your skin care game. Do it girl!
I arrived about 5 minutes early at Skin Spirit for my appointment. When you walk into Skin Spirit there are a couple beautiful ladies be hide the desk ready to greet you. I couldn’t help but stare at their skin (like when you go to the dentist you tend to check out the persons teeth who is working inside of your head, right?…..man I hope I’m not the only one) yeah I was totally checking out their skin. Now that I think about it, I remember scanning their cheeks, forehead, lips……..I mean I really checked them out…..I’m hoping that I didn’t actually linger that long in real life……because as I’m typing this sound like a total creeper.
hahahaa…..but an honest one.
Nonetheless, they were flawless. Seeing the perfectness put me both at ease (like the people there must know what they are doing) and on edge (because I totally just jumped out of the shower after hanging with my kids all day looking like a hot mess…#momlife ).
I was offered, tea, coffee or water. You see the ladies at the front desk were totally awesome, beautiful and friendly. Once I got over myself and out of my head a bit, I was able to relax. The waiting room featured dimmed lighting, spa relaxation music and comfortable seating. I was able to take some deep breaths and get ready.
SO and SO came out to get me. She was also perfect and beautiful and friendly and knowledgeable. She asked alot of questions about how my skin responds to differently soaps, lotions, suns, wind etc. She asked what I was hoping for out of this facial… I was like better skin… I don’t really know. But she put all my worries to ease, telling me what was going to happen and making sure I was comfortable.
She left the room and I slipped outta my rain boots and into the heated bed and warm blanket and was feeling the relaxation of the warmth, the dim lights and the spa music. Spa music is 100% annoying when heard outside of the spa….but 100% awesome when in a spa. Don’t overestimate a good spa tune.
Just as I was drifting off into my day dream of nothing…. she returned. I’m a mom….silence and day drifting is a treat! She wrapped my hair in a towel and began the facial.
The Basic Steps of a Signature Facial
- Consultation My facial began with a consultation. There were some online forms and questionaires to fill out about skin concerns, diet, water, and supplements. The esthetician basically wants to know about your skin concerns and if you are using a Retin-A product.
- Preparations The esthetician offers a cover up that wraps around your body and under your arms. She will leave the room so you can get ready in privacy. When she comes back in the room she will wrap your hair in a towel to help keep the products off of it.
- Cleansing The first step of a clinical facial a cleansing. Sometimes this will be done twice to ensure removal of dead skin and a super clean surface to work with.
- Skin Analysis The esthetician will look at your skin and talk to you about your skin. Is it dry, oily, combination, etc and look for skin conditions such as acne, blackheads, aging, sun damage, etc. With this information she will choose the optimal products and treatments for your skin.
- Steam. Most facials use a machine that directs a thin vapor of warm steam to your face. This is relaxing and helps softens up any blackheads and whiteheads to be extracted. If you have very sensitive skin, the esthetician may not use steam.
- Exfoliation Using a scrub to help slosh off dead skin cells. This type of exfoliation usually happens during the steam. Exfoliation uses enzymes and acids to loosen the bond between skin cells. A gentle enzyme treatment can be done during the steam. It’s pretty awesome.
- Microdermabrasion Feels like a tiny vacuum on your face sucking off that outter layer of skin. It’s really odd feeling, but it does not hurt. I imagine I’ll look forward to this part of the deep cleaning for my next visit. She did this on my hands too…and I love it.
- Extractions This is the physical removal of blackheads in the skin. You don’t have to do this step as people have different pain tolerance for extractions. It is uncomfortable, but nothing compared to childbirth. And I’d say it really helps the texture of your skin. Suck it up, do it.
- Facial Massage Using a special technique this is done for both relaxation and to stimulate the skin and facial muscles.
- Facial Mask Applied for for your specific skin type. At this stage the esthetician will give you a scalp and shoulder massage. So good.
- Apply The Moisture She will apply toner, serums, moisturizer and sunscreen. It feels like your face is getting caked up….but your skin sucks it all in and trust that you are looking fabulous.
- Advice She will leave the room so you can put yourself back together. Out front she will have a few products pieced together that she thinks will best help you take optimal care of your skin at home. You don’t have to buy anything. I did….it’s time to start loving on this ole’ mug of mine. She will then
Be sure to leave a tip as you check out, and tell them that Angela from Redmond Kids sent you. I have my next clinical facial booked and plan to keep the maintenance up on my face.
So I know you all just really wanna see the before and after. I gotta tell you, I really don’t want to share this…..but the results are kinda awesome. So let’s all pinky swear to be nice and look at that…
But dude….. look at my skin tone. I had no idea how ‘red’ I was. I thought that’s just my face. Now take a closer look at my chin and nose. I went from pissed off eruptions and red irritations to a pretty decent looking face. The sun hasn’t been kind to me….but with a little SPF and signature facial every now and then I can fight back.
Call me crazy, but I loved this experience. Happy birthday to me indeed!